About / History
Boat Hire
Images & Features
Gallery / Blog
Special Offers
Articles / Journals
Our Broads holiday by Peter & Sue Wilson

Our Broads holiday by Peter & Sue Wilson

Bure Valley Railway workshop


Water Garden at How Hill

Taking on Water at Neatishead

Holiday aboard Royal Oak 22nd - 29th May

Our crew was as follows

Peter Wilson - Captain

Sue Wilson - Chef + other duties as required

Carol Downes - Deckhand, bursar + other duties as instructed

The 22nd May turned out to be the first of many good and sunny days during our weeks holiday on the Broads.

We collected our well prepared cruiser from Royals boat yard and made our way to Ranworth where we were lucky enough to moor stern on for the night.

Sunday dawned bright and hot and got even hotter as the day went on. The gin and tonic was most welcome as we moored at Ludham.

Being Sunday the crew was looking forward to a roast dinner but we had a mutiny on board. The chef refused to cook in the 80+ degrees heat in the Galley. All was not lost as the Captain, after a large gin and tonic, didn't notice the heat so cooked the roast pork. No Problem.

Monday was another beautiful day for cruising with us visiting Potter Heigham and mooring at Neatishead for the night.

Tuesday saw us working our way back to How Hill as we had found that the Water Gardens were open that afternoon. We have missed them on previous holidays. After our visit we decided to cross Barton Broad and spend the night at Sutton.

Wednesday saw us heading to Barton Turf to take on Water and met up with Royal Stuart doing the same. An incident here showed both crews why we are encouraged to wear our life jackets when mooring up and generally out on deck.

The afternoon saw us back at the boatyard so that crew members could do some retail therapy at Roy's and top up supplies and for us to be taken through Wroxham bridge.

We spent the night moored side on just past the railway bridge.

Thursday dawned cloudy and threatened rain. We had moored at this spot as there is a footpath that takes you straight up to the Bure Valley Railway and walk. As I am a model engineer and drive a passenger hauling steam loco a ride on this line to Aylesham was undertaken. I also managed to spend some 20 minutes talking to engineers in the workshop whilst waiting for the return train. It was no mean task that Sara and Nigel undertook walking the whole 9 miles along side the railway on the hottest day of the year so far. Well done.

On our return to Royal Oak we took a very leisurely cruise to Coltishall where a crew member had promised to treat us to a meal at the Kings Head. The steak was cooked just right as was the Lamb shanks and Sea Bass.

Friday saw us back at Wroxham for help in passing under the bridge and then onto Salhouse Broad where we dropped the mud weight and enjoyed our last lunch alfresco.

As we had commitments at home the next day we made a decision to hand Royal Oak back and travel home later that evening. So ended a great week on the Broads helped in no small way by the weather and an outstanding crew and yes we have booked for next year.............